Tuesday, July 1, 2008

the specific preparatory stage

i have entered the final eight weeks which usually signifies my last phase of training leading up to a race. the SPECIFIC PREPARATORY phase is where i will aim to intensify the quality of my work and build on what i have already developed, trying to bring my SPECIFIC ENDURANCE at marathon pace to the highest level.

the first workout schedule during this phase was a SPECIFIC EXTENSIVE ENDURANCE workout. the schedule called for 7 x 2km repeats at 100-102% MP with 1km recovery at 85-95% MP.

i woke early to find that i wasn't feeling well as it seems i haven't escaped the bugs that have invaded my family. i was due to meet Simon at the river at 5.15am so i made the decision to get there about 30 minutes before and get in a longer warmup than usual. during the first of the loops (~7km) in which Simon ran some fartlek surges I was beginning to worry about my workout plans as I was struggling to maintain the slightly faster pace. during the second loop where i said goodbye to my training buddy i started the workout and immediately things felt much smoother and easier.

rolled through 4 x 2km and 1 x 1km with a 500-1000m recovery at an average pace of around 4min/k before calling it quits for the morning. all up about 25km of running in 1h50.

No comments: