Tuesday, July 1, 2008

an unexpected 10k time trial

i was planning on running an easy recovery run after a hard run the day before. going through the first 3km in 12min something and that's exactly what was happening. before i knew what was going on though i went through the next 5km in 18:43 before finishing up with 10km in 38:42. i think this translates to just under a 3 hour marathon equivalent finishing time and about where i want my fitness to be at this stage eight weeks out from the marathon. can i improve on this....i think so!

with my heavily infected chest and sinus passages working against me, i found with excitement that it was my inability to suck in enough oxygen which was slowing me down and not my legs. they didn't feel like they were working hard (there was no evidence of lactate buildup or the heaviness which i am accustomed to) and were ready to pick it up on demand.

the last 7km were run at an average pace of 3:43....

No comments: