Monday, October 26, 2009

overcoming sickness...

not much happening on the running front lately due to sickness but thankfully i've finally recovered from my experience with chicken pox... not something i would want to get again.


after taking a week off and missing most of the world masters training is finally getting becoming a regular thing again... this time away from running allowed me some to sit back and reflect upon what running means to me and what i would like to get out of it. now i'm feeling highly motivated to build my training up to another level.


the plan is to take the next couple of months and work on building base endurance and focus on some of the strength issues that i have been concerned about over the last 12 months.


now on to the training. i'm feeling good right now and even though my races didn't go as planned at the world masters the training i did before hand gave me the confidence that if i wasn't brought down with the pox i would have reached my goal times. no time for thinking about it now...


training summary - a solid start with week one being all about getting healthy and getting back in the running groove...


-- week one --


sunday (oct 18) - 9.02 km, 40:18, 4:28 pace
sunday marked a return to running after taking a few days off and my legs were aware of it. felt loose but fatigued towards the end as my lungs rebelled with infection...


monday: 12.61 km, 58:36, 4:39 pace


tuesday: 11 km, 1:00 -- 20 minutes of hill repeats
ran down to glenbrook in the afternoon and spent 20 minutes running around the hills. very tired...


wednesday: 13 km, 1:00
easy out and back from work


thursday: 14.59 km, 1:06, 4:33 pace (lunch) // 11.24 km, 57:26, 5:07 pace
first double run today. ran around the river at lunch and then backed up with a run home due to a flat battery. the run home was tough up mitchells pass.


friday: rest day


saturday: 8.4 km, 36:35, 4:21 pace // 13.35 km, 1:00, 4:31 pace
the am run was mostly at tempo pace and the evening run was out to finch look out and took in a few trails up at warrimoo. beautiful day...


sunday: 17.66 km, 1:20, 4:32 pace
interesting run out to mulgoa. i had planned for my wife to pick me up after about an hour so with that in mind i went out harder than normal and made it through what felt like 80 minutes at 60 minute pace on the hillls. 30 minutes later when my wife found me i was a mess. still enjoy these challenges but need to be more prepared and carry some money or nutrition.


-- week two --


the plan is for more volume, more runs plus some yoga and strength sessions thrown in before my wife leaves for a four day weekend with the girls in tasmania...

No comments: