Sunday, November 29, 2009

Stress and Soreness...

last weeks training didn’t go to schedule. due to my attendance at a two day conference in sydney followed up with a day’s training i sacrificed the easier runs which make up a large part of my training and also allow my legs to recover between the quality sessions. i did however manage to get in most of quality sessions as planned but at the expense that all sessions were tackled during the late afternoon heat.

 
the heat and quality of the week has added to a lot of stress and by the end of the weekend after two 10km runs on saturday sandwiching my first weight session (squats and lunges) followed up on sunday afternoon with a 2+ hour excursion with (the) sleep train, dr phil and the welsh exchange student into the grose valley which included a short dip in the river has left me very sore and tired. the climb both up and down was made even more challenging due my poor footwear selection. the climb out completely fried my calves as i was trying to find some traction on the loose leaves with my toes and the two steps up one slide back added to my quad fatigue. arriving at the top was a welcomed relief as i was able to start running again but halfway back to the car my quads tightened up further and i could feel the tell-tale signs of cramping coming on. to avoid the unpleasantness of cramping i backed off and enjoyed the fading light as i soaked in my first foray out to faulconbridge point. think i might make this route a regular part of my training…

looking back…

monday: a quick loop of the river on the way back from sydney @ 4:08 /km pace


tuesday: am hilly loop 11 repeats in the alloted time

wednesday: lunch 8.5km steady run, pm 85min trail run up to the oaks gate and back down the singletrack. hot day which ended in the creek.

thursday: pm 95min run with intervals (about 20min worth) followed up with 30+ minutes of climbing (10-15% grade) @ 75% maxhr. again the heat killed me and i had to cut short the hard running.

friday: 35min easy

saturday: am 10km steady, lunch – weights (legs), pm 10k easy

sunday: pm 2h run out to faulconbridge point and down into the grose valley for a swim.

No comments: