Monday, January 26, 2009

Training log: 26 Jan - 1 Feb

Another week closer to 6FT and my fitness is far from where I would like it to be this close to the event.

I was flicking through my training log from last year and I saw that I had already had a couple of good long runs including Beyond the Black Stump run and the 43km Australia Day Fatathon. Yesterday while running a short run in the National Park while everyone went off and ran 30-43km I was thankful that I was only going short. I am feeling negative about my running. While I'm motivated to train I'm just not fired up to run. It's just not coming as easily as it has in the past. Enough already, stop wasting your time worrying about fitness and running times and go and get training!!!!

monday:
am) Easy run - 20km (1:40)
I thought there were runners in drag - that was until I realised what looked like a dress was actually an Australian Flag draped around a runner.

When the alarm went off early to get up, I slept in. I had planned to head out for a long run in the bush before meeting my fellow CR brethren at the gates of the National Park for what is becoming a classic run but I decided to sleep in and get up at a more civilised hour. I wasn't feeling all that well when I did finally get up and I was hoping that I would feel a little better by the time I drove down to Glenbrook. It was great to see all the other CR's and after a rendition of the anthem I ran easy up to the gate and then headed back down the singletrack to wish everyone a good day before heading back to the car. Still not feeling strong on the hills.

Maybe I should give my legs some rest and allow them to recover and build some strength before hitting the hills again. What I know in training and from experience I often fail to put into practice until something as sinister as an injury forces me to start running some easy recovery runs or dare I say it - take a day off. What do you do on a day off? Maybe I should dust off the bike and start riding again.

tuesday:
am) Easy run - 25.2km (2:02)
Finally a change in the weather. Woke up to the sound of rain and headed out for an easy run up to Winmallee and back. Wore the heartrate monitor to make sure that I kept it all in my easy, aerobic zone. Finished feeling fatigued but knowing that I have could have kept going which was exactly how I wanted to feel after this run.

pm) Easy run - 12k
Easy run home.

wednesday:
am) Easy run to work - 10k (0:42)
Felt a little tired at the start of the run but starting running strongly over the last 5km.

pm) Easy run home - 10k (0:54)
Felt good running from Emu Plains up Mitchells Pass. Cruised the final 2k home to try and cool down. Ended up in a cold bath.

thursday:
am) easy run - 5k (0:22)

pm) workout - 17k (~1:40)
Hard session with the Sleep Train in the National Park. It was about 34-35C when we started out and by the time I had ended the final set I was about ready to keel over. Great run and one I need to repeat weekly. Legs had that nice 'I've been worked' ache after which is something I haven't experienced for some time.

friday:
am) easy run - 9k (0:47) + 10k (0:44) - Glenbrook oval + run to work
Met Simon for an early run. Cruised through a 2km warmup, ran a couple of 100m strides, ran some 400s starting out at 75sec and finishing up with a final 400m in 66sec (haven't run that quickly for about 3 years), cooled down with some more strides and some drills (butt kicks, high knees, skipping etc). After a short stopover at home to pick up my work clothes and have a large drink I ran the 10k to work. Felt suprisingly good but legs were heavy with fatigue.

pm) easy run - 10k (0:54) - work to home
There was nothing easy about this run. It was hot and the climb up Mitchells left me feeling rather fried.

saturday:
am) Easy 6k
I planned to do more but ran out of time before I needed to head out for the day.

sunday:
am) Long 31k (2:30) - National Park run
Ran from home into the National Park via Glenbrook up to the Oaks gate and back down to Euroka via Bennetts Ridge Fire Trail. Felt ordinary in the first hour, good for the second and then bonked on the climb up from the weir. The last 30 minutes was a struggle. Passed Whippet Gal on her way into the park.

summary:
Running total: 165km

No comments: